Have you ever thought about what your legacy will be? For a Christian there is nothing more valuable that we can leave for our family and friends than Jesus Christ and His Word. Sadly, many Christians have bought into the lies of the world that the purpose for living is to be “great”, work, be rich, famous and successful, and we’ve handed-down this worldly mind-set to our youth.
However, we are all created to glorify God (Isa 43:7), seek/build His Kingdom (Matthew 6:33) and to accomplish the work of God (John 17:3-4). In fact, the greatest promise Jesus gave us was eternal life (1 John 2:25). These truths are what we are to pass down to the next generation.
Although there are many principles of Scriptures that we must teach our children and upcoming generations, here are a few that we should definitely instill in them…
1. Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, might (Deu 6:5)
• We are to actively, passionately, persistently seek Jesus, His Kingdom and His righteousness. (Jer 29:13; Matt 6:33)
• The Bible teaches us not to pursue selfish-ambition, rather seek to serve others and God. (Phil 2:3-4; Ja 3:14-16)
• Our purpose in life is not to be rich, famous, successful, but rather to do the work of God, obey Him, build His Kingdom and glorify God. (Jn 14:15, 17:4; Matt 6:33; Isa 43:7)
2. Don’t follow other gods (Deu 6:14)
• God does not tolerate idol worship (including the idol of “self”, greed, money, materialism). (Isa 42:8; 1 Jn 2:15-17)
• We are to serve God and Him alone. We must die to self and keep Him first. (Ex 20:3-5; Matt 16:24)
3. Do what is right in the sight of the Lord (Deu 6:18)
• No matter what family, friends, government says, we must obey God, not man. (Acts 5:29; Ecc 12:14)
• We will give an account to God, not man. (Rom 14:12)
• God will reward us for obedience and faithfulness. (Matt 25:21;1 Cor 3:13-14; Col 3:23-24)
The world is constantly and consistently bombarding our children with messages that are leading them away from God and the church. As women of God it is imperative that we teach our children and upcoming generations the ways of God and train them in the way they should go.
To read Part 1 of Legacy of Faith, Click here